Permanent Account Number or PAN is a unique alphanumeric identity number assigned to Indian taxpayers. The objective of having a PAN card is to get a universal identification key that tracks financial transactions and tax records of people. It helps in keeping a check on individuals who are expected to pay a high amount of tax.
Getting a PAN card is optional, but it is steadily becoming relevant in all financial transactions. Hence, it is wise to get a PAN card if you are a taxpayer or on your way to becoming one.
Apart from having a hard copy of a PAN card, you also have the option of downloading an ePAN from an online portal.
What Is an ePAN?
The ePAN is a virtual alternative to a physical PAN card. A typical ePAN has the same details as the physical PAN, which consist of:
- Permanent Account Number
- Father’s Name
- Date of Birth (DOB)
- QR Code
You can apply for an ePAN only if you have an Aadhaar card with a linked mobile number. Apart from that, every person having a physical PAN card can opt to download an ePAN.
An individual can have only one PAN. Anyone having more than one PAN can be liable to fines. Since PAN applicants are rising day by day, the Indian government has introduced the ePAN service.
How to Download ePAN Online
There are a few ways to download your ePAN card, depending on whether you are a first-time applicant or already have a physical card.
For First-Time Applicants
If you do not already have a PAN card, you can apply for ePAN online on the NSDL or UTIITSL website. These are the steps you have to follow:
- Fill in the application form and attach relevant verification documents for your identity or address. Then, submit the completed form.
- During this process, you will be asked whether you want a physical PAN card. Select “No” if you want an ePAN.
- For an ePAN through online KYC and electronic signature, the application fee is INR 66. For a physical application, the fee is INR 72.
- While submitting the filled form and documents, you have to pay the fee online.
- Once this is successfully completed, your ePAN will be delivered to your registered email ID within 10-15 days.
- Note that the ePAN comes in PDF format, which you can download and print easily.
For Applicants With Existing PAN Cards
For individuals who already possess a physical PAN card and only want to download their PAN card online, these are the steps to take.
- Visit the NSDL or UTIITSL website.
- On the NSDL website, you can apply for ePAN with your acknowledgement number. This number is sent to people while applying for PAN and is valid till 30 days after the application is completed.
- On the UTIITSL website, your ePAN card download is possible using your DOB and PAN number. However, this facility is only available to people who have their mobile numbers linked with their Aadhaar card.
- Here also, you can download ePAN for free within 30 days from your application date. Beyond that, you have to pay a service fee.
- After receiving your PAN card in PDF format, you can download and print it as many times as you want.
The downloaded ePAN is valid for all transactions and tax activities, both online and offline. Let us look at each download method in detail.
Download ePAN Through NSDL
The online ePAN card facility is available on the NSDL website. NSDL is the tax information network of the Income Tax Department of India. Individuals who have had their PAN cards processed through NSDL or the instant ePAN service of the ITD can download the virtual PAN card from the NSDL website.
This facility is only available for people whose Aadhaar card is linked to their PAN card.
- First, you need to access the NSDL official portal.
- Enter your details, like PAN, Aadhaar number, DOB, and GSTN number (optional).
- Check the box to agree to the terms and conditions at the bottom.
- Enter the captcha code on the next screen and Submit. You can refresh the captcha if it is not clear the first time.
- You will be able to download the ePAN now with a password. The password directions will be provided by the website.
- On entering the password correctly, you can save the ePAN on your computer and print it.
Download ePAN Through UTIITSL
UTIISL also lets you download your ePAN from their website. To qualify for this service, you must be a user who:
- Has applied for a new PAN card or requested changes in the existing PAN through UTIITSL.
- Has registered their mobile number or email ID with the PAN records at ITD.
If you are one of the above, you can download your ePAN card online by following these steps.
- Visit the UTIITSL website.
- Fill in your details, like PAN card number, DOB, GSTN (optional), and captcha, and submit the form.
- Your ePAN link will be sent on your registered mobile number or email ID.
- From there, you can download your ePAN by clicking the link and entering the OTP.
Download ePAN With PAN and Date of Birth
This process is similar to the method of downloading your PAN card on UTI and can be used by people who do not have an acknowledgement number.
- Visit the NSDL online portal.
- Enter your details in the form, like PAN, Aadhaar number, DOB, and GSTN (optional).
- Check the terms box, enter the captcha, and click Submit.
- You can then download the ePAN card for free.
Download ePAN With Acknowledgement Number
You can also download your ePAN with the acknowledgement number from the NSDL e-Gov website. You will find this 15-digit number on the acknowledgement slip, which is emailed to you after you apply for a PAN card.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Visit the NSDL online portal.
- Select the 'Acknowledgement Number' option.
- Input your 15-digit acknowledgement number, birthdate, and captcha code.
- Press 'Submit'.
Download Duplicate ePAN via Aadhaar Number
The NSDL PAN download facility lets you download a duplicate PAN card as well or reprint it. This service is available on the NSDL e-Gov website, where you can submit a request for reprinting your PAN card.
- Visit the NSDL website and enter your details, like PAN, Aadhaar number, date of birth, and GSTIN (optional).
- Read the declaration and check the box.
- Enter the captcha and click Submit.
- You will be directed to a page with your PAN card details.
- Scroll down and select an OPT option. You can request an OTP on your registered mobile number or email ID.
- Click Generate OPT, enter the OTP received, and click Validate.
- This will submit your PAN reprinting request to NSDL.
Q. Can I download my PAN card if I have lost my PAN card but have the number?
Yes, you can download ePAN with your PAN card number from the NSDL or UTIITSL website. UTIITSL lets you download ePAN with a coupon number. NSDL allows you to download a duplicate PAN card with the acknowledgement number.
Q. How can I download ePAN card without a PAN card number?
You can download a PAN card without a PAN from the “Know Your PAN” facility on the ITD official website.
Q. Can I download my PAN card through an app?
No, currently there are no mobile apps to download your PAN card. You can only visit the NSDL or UTIITSL website to download your ePAN.
Q. What is the charge for downloading an ePAN card?
You can download the ePAN for free within 30 days of the date of issue of your new or modified PAN card. Beyond 30 days, you will be charged a service fee of INR 8.26 for each download.
Q. Is ePAN accepted as a valid ID document?
Yes, ePAN is as valid as a physical PAN card and can be used as ID proof for tax purposes, banks, and corporations.
Q. Can ePAN be downloaded after 30 days of confirmation by the Income Tax Department?
Yes, you can download your ePAN card after 30 days through the UTIITSL website. However, you must pay a minimum service charge for late access.
Q. What is the helpline number for ePAN issues?
You can reach the UTIITSL website helpline at 03340802999 for any assistance or issue regarding your ePAN card.
In this article